American Roulette Wheel Layout
The American Roulette wheel comes with 38 divisions which include numbered pockets 1 to 36, 0, and 00. The number pockets 1 to 36 are alternately colored black and red, while the ‘0’ and ‘00’ are colored green. All the numbers are identically arranged, meaning there are equal odds of the ball landing in any of the pockets.
The red numbers are always opposite the black on the other side of the wheel. Also, each red pocket is followed by a black one. However, the ‘00’ pocket stands between two red pockets while the ‘0’ stands between two blacks.
American Roulette Rules
Your aim while playing the American Roulette is to make an accurate prediction of each spin. Hence, you start by placing your bets on where you think the ball will land on. You can place your bet on a number, group of numbers, or color.
After you place the bet, you click on “Spin” if you are playing virtual American Roulette. This will spin the wheel in the anticlockwise direction while the ball goes clockwise. If you are playing the live game, the dealer will spin the wheel after the bets have been placed.
The ball will land in any of the wheel pockets. You win the game if it lands on the number, color, or group of numbers you placed your bet on. Then, you are paid your prize according to the paytable.
There are different ways to place bets in American Roulette. You can place your bet on a number, a small group or large group of numbers, or any of the colors. All these bets can be categorized under two main types; the outside and inside bets.
Inside bets usually involve a single number or small range of numbers while outside bets involve large groups of numbers. We have briefly explained all the types of bets available below.
- Straight Bets – This type of bet is made on a single pocket on the wheel. It could be made on any of the pockets from 1 to 36 and also on ‘0’ and ‘00’.
- Split Bet – To make a split bet, you have to wager on two adjacent numbers on the layout. It could be on numbers 4 and 5,12 and 15, 23 and 26, and many more. This bet also includes wagers on ‘0’ and ‘00’.
- Street Bet – This is a type of bet made on all the three numbers in a row. Examples include 4-5-6, 25-26-27, 19-20-21, etc. It also includes bets on 0-1-2, 00-2-3, and 0-00-2.
- Corner Bet – Cornet bet is a wager placed on four different numbers. It is also called a square bet as the numbers must form a square on the layout. This includes 2-3-5-6, 16-17-19-20, and many more.
- Five line Bet -This bet is the type of wager placed on 0-00-1-2-3. That is the first five numbers on the bet layout.
- Line Bet – This is a bet made on two rows on the layout. It contains six numbers in total, three on each row. Examples are 10-11-12-13-14-15 and 16-17-18-19-20-21.
- Column Bet – This includes wagers placed on an entire column on the layout. It covers a total of 12 numbers and can be placed on any of the three columns.
- Dozen Bet – Dozen Bet also features a total of 12 numbers but it covers 4 rows. Examples are box 13 to 24 and 25 to 26.
- Color Bet – It is a bet placed on either all the red or all the black colored pockets on the layout. It covers a total of 18 numbers.
- Odd/Even Bet – This is a wager made on all the even numbers or all the odd numbers. It also covers a total of 18 numbers and has the same payout rate as the color bet.
- High/Low Bet – These are bets made on either all low numbers (1 to 18) or high numbers (19 to 36).
Strategy to Win in American Roulette
There are no strategies that can guarantee a win but you can apply some to increase your chances. These strategies include different betting patterns that you can follow to manage your bankroll and spread your bets.
A popular example is the Martingale strategy which is best to apply when playing outside bets. To put it simple, with this strategy you always bet on a single colour (same colour) or odd/even (make sure it’s always the same). If you lose, you do the same bet but instead you double your bet. Repeat this until you win, which you eventually will. When you win you will refund your losses and double your total bets.
You can also use the reverse Martingale which requires you to increase your bets when you start winning. You could be lucky enough to make huge returns when you increase your bet.
What is the Difference Between American and French Roulette?
While the American Roulette has 38 divisions on the wheel while the French Roulette has only 37. This is because the French Roulette lacks the additional double zero (00) pocket, which you find on the American Roulette.
The additional ‘00’ pocket on the American Roulette increases the house edge to 5.26%. On the other hand, the French Roulette has a house edge of 2.70%. That means, the chances of winning are lower in American Roulette.
Also, players can apply the La Partage rule to the French Roulette to decrease the house edge to 1.35%. This gives the French Roulette an edge over American Roulette as it offers more chances of winning.
What is the House Edge in American Roulette?
The house edge is 5.26%.
What is the RTP for American Roulette?
American Roulette has an RTP of 94.74%.
Can I Play American Roulette for Free?
Yes, you can play virtual American roulette for free on most casinos. But whenever you play a free or demo version, you cannot win real money.
Can I Play American Roulette in Live Casinos?
Yes, there are different forms of Live American Roulette available at live casinos. However, you are not allowed to play the live version for free. You have to wager real money to be able to play.